The economist, a business publication, recognises successful innovators through a yearly innovation award in eight categories. Here are this year’s winners:
- Bioscience: Martin Evens, director of the school of biosciences and professor of mammalian genetics at Cardiff University, for his work in stem-call research and the development of “knockout” mice.
- Business Process: Jimmy Wales of Wikipedia for the promotion of online public collaboration as means of content development.
- Computing and Telecommunications: Matti Makkonen for the development of Short Message Service (SMS), or text messaging.
- Consumer Products and Services: Steve Chen and Chad Hurley of YouTube for creating an easy way to share video.
- Energy and Environment: Arthur Rosenfeld for his promotion of energy efficiency.
- No Boundaries: Sumio Iijima for the discovery of carbon nanotubes.
- Social and Economic Innovation: Bill Gates and Melinda Gates for developing of a philanthropic support platform.
- Corporate Innovation: Nokia for its ability to respond tp social and technological trends while maintaining its position as the world’s largest handset-maker.
Mr Wikipedia, Source: economist.com
By Bernhard Hoetzl